Thursday, March 08, 2012

Ran over by a death cab

I was in college. And I was heartbroken. And thus I met Death Cab for Cutie.

Their first song I heard was their cover of Bjork's All is Full Love, from a mix CD called Let Go of Your Bad Days made by my friend Kathy for me. When I heard Photobooth, I decided that I will love this band. This band with songs that are seemingly happy but turn out to be sad when you listen to the lyrics. Happy on the outside, sad inside. Just like me, I thought (Hey, I was in the middle of an emotional revolution!).

And so it was that I found myself in the middle of NBC Tent last March 5th, 2012. Oh man. That night was more than I ever thought it would be. Standing there, legs cramping and shoulders aching, watching one of the bands I love most give the best show I have ever seen. Wow.



 I don't think I have screamed, jumped, sang my heart out and shook my head as much as I did during that night. And when Ben Gibbard said that this is the "start of a long and beautiful friendship" I think I peed my pants a little in glee. Well not really. But I think I almost did.

Every person in that venue sang each and every heartfelt word to each and every song. Why wouldn't you when the band playing in front of you is so good it made me happy for once that I am not a musician because they would make me look bad puny if I was. I have always gushed and gushed about What Sarah Said and how amazingly sad it made me feel. When they played it that night, oh wow, the place suddenly turned very dusty. And then they followed it with I Will Follow You Into The Dark, which made the place even dustier. Ben singing solo with his acoustic guitar made the song sound sadder, and it didn't help that the hundreds and hundreds of people in that venue sang with him as if comforting him. Somewhere after the first chorus, Ben stepped away from the mic and smiled. I'd like to think that it's because he's so touched that Manila loved them so much.


 I didn't get any videos and my crappy point-and-shoot can't get decent shots. But never mind that. I was there! I was dancing! I watched Ben Gibbard sway from side to side, raise his guitar like a proper rockstar, jump up and down! I watched Nick Harmer rock that bass like there's no tomorrow! I watched Chris Walla be charming and golden and be a guitar god! I watched Jason McGerr errrr... drum! I had a solo moshpit during The Sound of Settling! I got hoarse singing and screaming!

I was there. I made this tweet happen.

No comments: